Educational Leaders and Mentors,
Please ensure students in the Dayton and surrounding areas are aware of the funding assistance available through AWS. Below you will find the Les Vesey Scholarship Application and Al J. Mealey Scholarship Application. I encourage all Educational Leaders and mentors to pass this valuable information along to interested students wishing to pursue vocational training, community college, or a four-year degree in a welding or related field of study.
The Les Vesey Scholarship is unique because it is awarded in the fall (deadline Oct. 30th). The Dayton Section sponsors the Al J. Mealey Scholarship, which has a spring deadline (April 1st), and the AWS sponsors District Scholarships, which also have a spring deadline (March 1st). You do not have to be a member to apply for the Section or District Scholarship. See instructions below.
AWS Dayton Section Scholarship Requirements
The Les Vesey and Al J. Mealey Scholarship requirements are no less than the requirements of the AWS District Scholarship, except as modified for the AWS Dayton Section where applicable and the requirements below. Please visit http://www.aws.org/w/a/foundation/district_scholarships.html for complete details and requirements on the District Scholarship program.
· Applicants must be from the Dayton Metropolitan area and/or surrounding counties.
In Ohio: Preble, Darke, Shelby, Miami, Montgomery, Warren, Clinton, Green, Clark, Champaign, Logan, and Hardin Counties. In Indiana: Jay, Randolph, and Wayne Counties.
· Applicants must be enrolled in a welding-related educational or training program.
· The deadline for receiving applications is October 30th, 2012 for Les Vesey Scholarship and April 1st , 2012 for Al J. Mealey Scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded the following month with funds released within 30 days after the award.
· Scholarships expire 1 yr. from award date.
· The Dayton Section Scholarship Committee will select awardees and funding amounts. Applicants awarded funding will be notified by mail.
· Scholarships once awarded, are payable directly to the school to which the applicant has been accepted. It will apply to the cost of tuition, books, supplies and related institutional costs.
· Mail completed scholarship applications and all requested documents and information to: Yaskawa-Motoman, 100 Automation Way, Miamisburg, OH 45342, Attention: Chris Anderson. Phone Contact (937) 847-3216.
District Scholarship Program
To apply for the AWS District Scholarship, download and complete the online application, supply the requested documents and information, and pack them in an envelope. Mail the package to the AWS Foundation, 550 NW Lejeune Road, Miami, Florida 33126, Attention Nazdhia Prado-Pulido, Coordinator, Foundation.
If you have any questions regarding the Dayton Section or District Scholarship, please contact myself or Steve Whitney, AWS Dayton Section Past Chairman (937-847-3223).
AWS Dayton Scholarship Committee; Past Chair
Forms to download and submit:
Les Vesey Scholarship Application - PDF Format | Microsoft Word Format
Al J. Mealey Scholarship Application - PDF Format | Microsoft Word Format
Dayton 2012 Scholarship Letter - PDF Format | Microsoft Word Format
Dayton AWS Scholarship Winners - PDF Format | Microsoft Word Format